I have had the pleasure of reaching out to almost every student this week through SeeSaw. I have received video recordings, audio recordings, and written notes and pictures from many students. They have enjoyed hearing from me almost as much as I have enjoyed hearing from them. I really miss seeing them, and this has provided us with a great way to connect.
As you learned this week, our staff and the staff members at all D62 schools are making a concerted effort to check in with families during this unprecedented time. We realize that social isolation can be difficult for children and for you, so we want to continue to stay connected with them through these little check-ins. This effort is not meant to overwhelm you or them. It is our way of letting you and your children know that we miss them and love them, and we are still here for them. Although we realize that there is unfortunately not one universal platform that we can use to do this, teachers are doing their best to connect with you remotely. Please be patient with us as we try to stay in contact with your children. Remember, we are partners in this, and together we will try to keep your children connected and happy.
If schools remain closed beyond the March 30th date, the district will communicate that to you along with how we will try to instruct your students remotely. Remember, they have their choice boards, which are also available online at the www.d62.org website. Scroll down on the first page and you will find links to each grade level.
As one final note, I want to say how proud I am of our district. We have spent every day this week handing out meals to families who want or need them for their children. I cannot tell you how amazing this is. We truly care about our community, and it's been heartwarming to see everyone come together in this difficult time.
As always, take care of one another, be safe, and remain healthy.
Please read the following updates and information:
- Online registration is now officially open! Please register using our Parent Portal: rebrand.ly/62parentportal.
For more information, please visit: rebrand.ly/62onlineregistration
- If you have an incoming kindergarten student for the 2020-2021 school year and have not come in yet to register, please stop by our main office to pick up the registration packet.
Illinois Assessment of Readiness:
- All 3rd - 5th grade students will take the Illinois Assessment of Readiness (IAR). This assessment is five sessions (two ELA and three MATH), and there is also a sixth session, which is a field test that does not count towards our overall achievement and growth scores.
- Due to the district closing, a revised schedule will come out once we come back in session.
Crossing Guards Needed:
- Officer Michael Heidkamp from the Des Plaines Police Department has asked me to share this job opportunity with you: Des Plaines Police Department is looking for crossing guards. The position pays $15.00 per hour. If you or any of your friends are interested, please share this information. You can contact Officer Heidkamp at (847) 391-5498, or please click here.
*To view the March Terrace Times as well as the March Breakfast and Lunch Menus, please click the links at the top of this page.
School Volunteer Info:
Attention Volunteers! Please fill out the online volunteer application if you do not currently have one on file. In order to volunteer at school during the day or at any school function (field trips, popcorn day, etc), you must have an application on file. If you are not sure if you have completed one, please email Mrs. Lopatka at firstname.lastname@example.org, and she can check for you. You may also apply online at the following website by clicking here.
Arrival Parking Lot Safety: Families should drive through the front circle to drop off students. The parking lot IS NOT a place to drop off students. If you feel you need to park and walk your child to his or her line, please park on Westgate to do so. The safety and well-being of our students is our number one priority above all else.
Dismissal Parking Lot Safety: Please remember that the safety and well-being of our students and staff are our #1 priority. After school you are welcome park your car in a designated spot in our lot and walk to the front to pick up your child. Or, you may drive through the front circle and pick up your child in the pickup line. DO NOT double park your car in the lot and ask your child to run over to your car. I have personally seen students do this and nearly get hit by a car in the lot. Please listen to and work with our traffic supervisors. We need you working together with us to ensure students and staff are safe. Thank you so much.
Please download the WeatherBug app and set Terrace as your home page. Here are the directions to download:
- Open the app, and tap the WeatherBug icon in the upper left corner to expose the main app menu.
- Select “Sign in”
- At the bottom of the login screen, tap “Sign up” and either login using your Facebook account or by creating a WeatherBug account.
- Then go back into the main app menu and select “Communities”
- Tap “Terrace Elementary School” – the plus sign should turn into a check mark – hit “Close”
- You should see the Terrace Elementary School Community card.
Families, as your children are getting older and are having more exposure online, a host of questions can arise about Internet safety. If you would like to learn more about what your children may be doing or what you can do as a parent/caregiver to protect them, please click here to read more.
- If you are on Facebook and would like to see what is going on at Terrace, be sure to check out the Terrace Facebook page. Pictures are regularly posted to better give you an insight into all the great things that go on at school each and every day. Remember to click the "like" button so our updates appear regularly on your feed. Or, under the school address near the top left of this page, you can click Facebook, and it will direct you straight to the page.
- It is important for us to have a current email address and phone number for you at all times. If you want to ensure that you receive emails and notifications from Terrace and D62, please make sure our office has your most current email and phone numbers on file. If you send us your contact information, I ask that you please write very neatly so we can make sure we are entering the correct information in our student information system.