We had a wonderful final week of the decade! The students and staff showed their spirit all week long thanks to the student council spirit week activities. Thanks to them for organizing it, and thanks to all of you for sharing your amazing kiddos with all of us. On behalf of the Terrace staff, I wish you all a restful and happy holidays and new year! See you in 2020!
Please read the following updates and information:
Breakfast Comes to Terrace!
- Beginning on Wednesday, January 08, 2020, Terrace will now be offering a breakfast program for those students who would like to participate.
There is a monthly breakfast menu (that will be sent home via student backpacks and electronically just like the lunch menu), and students can choose a minimum of three but up to four choices from the following: 1 entree, 1 milk, and up to 2 fruit or juice options (minimum of 1). The cost of a breakfast is $1.30. For families qualifying for free/reduced lunches, free/reduced rates apply.
If you want your child to participate and you pay full or reduced price, you may send your student to the office with his/her money to be loaded onto their account, or you may load the money onto their accounts through RevTrack in the parent portal.
Breakfast will begin at 8:45 each morning and will go until 9:00. If you drop your child off or if your child takes a bus and they want breakfast, they may ask to go into the lunchroom when they arrive at school. If your child is in SPARK and wants breakfast, they will stay in the lunchroom at 8:45 to eat breakfast.
If you have any questions, please contact the main office.
- Families, please take a few minutes to complete the 5Essentials survey. We are up to 44% of Terrace families that have completed the survey. Last year, 69% of families completed the survey. If you have not done so already, I ask that you please complete the survey. It only takes about 5 minutes of your time. You can click here to begin the survey: http://survey.5-essentials.org/illinois/survey/parent/. You DO NOT need an email address to complete the survey. Make sure you choose "Cook" for the county.
- As the season changes and the weather becomes colder, students require warm clothing to stay warm and safe and to participate in all recess activities. Please contact Marion Greenwood, Social Worker at Terrace at 847-824-1432 or at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are in need of resources for winter and beyond including: Clothing, accessories, boots, food assistance or counseling.
Crossing Guards Needed:
- Officer Michael Heidkamp from the Des Plaines Police Department has asked me to share this job opportunity with you: Des Plaines Police Department is looking for crossing guards. The position pays $15.00 per hour. If you or any of your friends are interested, please share this information. You can contact Officer Heidkamp at (847) 391-5498, or please click here.
*To view the January Terrace Times as well as the January Breakfast and Lunch Menus, please click the links at the top of this page.
Please read the following reminders:
School Volunteer Info:
Attention Volunteers! Please fill out the online volunteer application if you do not currently have one on file. In order to volunteer at school during the day or at any school function (field trips, popcorn day, etc), you must have an application on file. If you are not sure if you have completed one, please email Mrs. Lopatka at email@example.com, and she can check for you. You may also apply online at the following website by clicking here.
Arrival Parking Lot Safety: Families should drive through the front circle to drop off students. The parking lot IS NOT a place to drop off students. If you feel you need to park and walk your child to his or her line, please park on Westgate to do so. The safety and well-being of our students is our number one priority above all else.
Dismissal Parking Lot Safety: Please remember that the safety and well-being of our students and staff are our #1 priority. After school you are welcome park your car in a designated spot in our lot and walk to the front to pick up your child. Or, you may drive through the front circle and pick up your child in the pickup line. DO NOT double park your car in the lot and ask your child to run over to your car. I have personally seen students do this and nearly get hit by a car in the lot. Please listen to and work with our traffic supervisors. We need you working together with us to ensure students and staff are safe. Thank you so much.
Please download the WeatherBug app and set Terrace as your home page. Here are the directions to download:
- Open the app, and tap the WeatherBug icon in the upper left corner to expose the main app menu.
- Select “Sign in”
- At the bottom of the login screen, tap “Sign up” and either login using your Facebook account or by creating a WeatherBug account.
- Then go back into the main app menu and select “Communities”
- Tap “Terrace Elementary School” – the plus sign should turn into a check mark – hit “Close”
- You should see the Terrace Elementary School Community card.
Families, as your children are getting older and are having more exposure online, a host of questions can arise about Internet safety. If you would like to learn more about what your children may be doing or what you can do as a parent/caregiver to protect them, please click here to read more.
- If you are on Facebook and would like to see what is going on at Terrace, be sure to check out the Terrace Facebook page. Pictures are regularly posted to better give you an insight into all the great things that go on at school each and every day. Remember to click the "like" button so our updates appear regularly on your feed. Or, under the school address near the top left of this page, you can click Facebook, and it will direct you straight to the page.
- It is important for us to have a current email address and phone number for you at all times. If you want to ensure that you receive emails and notifications from Terrace and D62, please make sure our office has your most current email and phone numbers on file. If you send us your contact information, I ask that you please write very neatly so we can make sure we are entering the correct information in our student information system.