What a wonderful first week of school we had this week. I am so impressed with how seamlessly the school year has started. There were times on the first couple days of school when I walked into classrooms and it felt like it was March. The students were working hard, and the teachers were instructing with their usual passion. It makes me so proud that I get to participate in their education.
Over the next couple of weeks we will be conducting some benchmark assessments with all of our students. The information we learn from the data will help us to tailor and adapt our instruction to best meet the needs of your children. This year, we are introducing a program in the mornings called "WIN". "WIN" stands for "What I Need". Every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday morning we will have building-wide time carved our for students to work with teachers on skills they need additional support with. Additionally, some students will have opportunities to extend their learning during this time if they have already mastered the skills that are being taught in their classes. We are really excited to be able to give our students even more support in the areas that they need. You will here more about this from the teachers at Curriculum Night on September 06.
For our new families, please remember that we have a district policy that we cannot celebrate birthdays or holidays with food in our schools. For birthdays, teachers will have "birthday fun" activities that the students can choose from. For other celebrations such as Halloween and the winter holidays, we can celebrate but without food.
Please remember to send your child with a healthy snack every day. All classrooms have a snack time, as we feel it is important to keep your children engaged with their learning. Fruit, vegetables, yogurt, and other healthy snacks are recommended.
Families, if your child or children buy school lunch, please note that lunches this year are $2.85. Last year it was $2.75, however, the price is now $2.85. Thank you.
Curriculum Night will be Thursday, September 06, from 6:00 - 7:20. As we have in the past, we will all meet in the gym at 6:00 for some brief words from me and from our PTC president. At approximately 6:20, you will be asked to go to Session I in the classrooms. At 6:40, Session II will begin. This session is in our TILE space right outside the gym and will feature our specials teachers as well as other related services and resource staff. Finally, at 7:00, Session III will begin back in the classrooms. This final session is for our families who have more than one student attending Terrace. This way, they can try and get to meet both teachers. We look forward to seeing you on September 06!
School Volunteer Info:
Attention Volunteers! Please fill out the online volunteer application if you do not currently have one on file. In order to volunteer at school during the day or at any school function (field trips, popcorn day, etc), you must have an application on file. If you are not sure if you have completed one, please email Mrs. Lopatka at email@example.com, and she can check for you. You may also apply online at the following website by clicking here.
Please read the following reminders:
Arrival Parking Lot Safety: Families should drive through the front circle to drop off students. The parking lot IS NOT a place to drop off students. If you feel you need to park and walk your child to his or her line, please park on Westgate to do so. The safety and well-being of our students is our number one priority above all else.
Dismissal Parking Lot Safety: Please remember that the safety and well-being of our students and staff are our #1 priority. After school you are welcome park your car in a designated spot in our lot and walk to the front to pick up your child. Or, you may drive through the front circle and pick up your child in the pickup line. DO NOT double park your car in the lot and ask your child to run over to your car. I have personally seen students do this and nearly get hit by a car in the lot. Please listen to and work with our traffic supervisors. We need you working together with us to ensure students and staff are safe. Thank you so much.
Please download the WeatherBug app and set Terrace as your home page. Here are the directions to download:
- Open the app, and tap the WeatherBug icon in the upper left corner to expose the main app menu.
- Select “Sign in”
- At the bottom of the login screen, tap “Sign up” and either login using your Facebook account or by creating a WeatherBug account.
- Then go back into the main app menu and select “Communities”
- Tap “Terrace Elementary School” – the plus sign should turn into a check mark – hit “Close”
- You should see the Terrace Elementary School Community card.
Families, as your children are getting older and are having more exposure online, a host of questions can arise about Internet safety. If you would like to learn more about what your children may be doing or what you can do as a parent/caregiver to protect them, please click here to read more.
- If you are on Facebook and would like to see what is going on at Terrace, be sure to check out the Terrace Facebook page. Pictures are regularly posted to better give you an insight into all the great things that go on at school each and every day. Remember to click the "like" button so our updates appear regularly on your feed. Or, under the school address near the top left of this page, you can click Facebook, and it will direct you straight to the page.
- It is important for us to have a current email address and phone number for you at all times. If you want to ensure that you receive emails and notifications from Terrace and D62, please make sure our office has your most current email and phone numbers on file. If you send us your contact information, I ask that you please write very neatly so we can make sure we are entering the correct information in our student information system.
Have a great weekend!