Please note the very cold weather now. Please make sure you are sending your children with the appropriate coats, gloves, hats, scarves, etc., so they will be warm enough to play outside, as we will go outside for recess unless weather permits.
Please click the link above to read the new November Terrace Times.
Please read the following updates below:
STAR WARS DAY:
- To celebrate the opening of Star Wars: The Last Jedi on Friday, Dec. 15, we will be having a Star Wars Day here at school! If your child is a fan and has a t-shirt or socks or something Star Wars to wear, they can show their Star Wars spirit on the 15th. If your child hasn't seen a Star Wars movie, they can still be a part of the fun by wearing something that represents outer space (stars, planets, rockets, the sun, etc.). With the solar eclipse a couple months back, this school year has really focused more on the cosmos, and our winter musical will, as well (more on that below). We hope to have a fun day, and May the Force Be With You! =-)
- Please note, this is not a Halloween-type of day, so please DO NOT send your child in a Star Wars costume or with any lightsabers or other weapons. A t-shirt or socks or a sweatshirt will do just fine.
- On Thursday, December 21, please join us for our 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade musical, called "Star Search". The concert will be at both 2:10 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. (students should arrive at 6:15 p.m. for the evening performance; students should go directly to classrooms). Doors will open at 6:15.
- Students are expected to attend both performances. If your student cannot attend a performance, please contact Mrs. Prost at email@example.com as soon as possible (as speaking parts and solos are being decided). Thank you, and we all hope you enjoy the concert!
- Students with speaking parts will be given their characters today, other students may choose what to dress up as according to which scene they are on stage (some are planets, some moon, stars, and other can choose from other space objects such as satellites, comets, etc.).
Early Learning Center Toy Drive:
- If you have any new, unwrapped toys that you wish to donate to district families in need, we are collecting in our lobby through December 14. Toys to be donated should be appropriate for 3 & 4 year-old children. Thank you!
Winter Weather Procedures:
- The weather outside may not be frightful, but Old Man Winter will be calling soon. Check out our District winter weather procedures: bit.ly/62WinterWeather
- If you or a neighbor is willing to be a crossing guard, the DPPD is looking for volunteers. If you know of someone interested, please contact me so I can point you in the right direction. Thank you. =-)
School Volunteer Info:
Attention Volunteers! Please fill out the online volunteer application if you do not currently have one on file. In order to volunteer at school during the day or at any school function (field trips, popcorn day, etc), you must have an application on file. If you are not sure if you have completed one, please email Mrs. Lopatka at firstname.lastname@example.org, and she can check for you. You may also apply online at the following website by clicking here.
Please read the following reminders:
Arrival Parking Lot Safety: Last week we had three unfortunate incidents in our parking lot during morning drop-off. Two different students were almost hit by cars running to their lines and a third fell in the middle of the parking lot running to the line-up area while cars were driving through the lot. These incidents were due to the fact that people are dropping their children off in the middle of the parking lot rather than coming through the front circle despite being asked many times over the years not to do so. In the interest of student safety, we are now putting cones at the north end of the parking lot to prohibit cars from entering to just drop off. Families will have to drive through the front circle to drop off. If you feel you need to park and walk your child to his or her line, please park on the west side of Westgate to do so. We apologize if this is an inconvenience to you, however, the safety and well-being of our students is our number one priority above all else. I spoke with the Des Plaines Police, and this change was thought to be an excellent idea. Thank you for understanding.
Dismissal Parking Lot Safety: Please remember that the safety and well-being of our students and staff are our #1 priority. After school you are welcome park your car in a designated spot in our lot and walk to the front to pick up your child. Or, you may drive through the front circle and pick up your child in the pickup line. DO NOT double park your car in the lot and ask your child to run over to your car. I have personally seen students do this and nearly get hit by a car in the lot. Please listen to and work with our traffic supervisors. We need you working together with us to ensure students and staff are safe. Thank you so much.
Please download the WeatherBug app and set Terrace as your home page. Here are the directions to download:
- Open the app, and tap the WeatherBug icon in the upper left corner to expose the main app menu.
- Select “Sign in”
- At the bottom of the login screen, tap “Sign up” and either login using your Facebook account or by creating a WeatherBug account.
- Then go back into the main app menu and select “Communities”
- Tap “Terrace Elementary School” – the plus sign should turn into a check mark – hit “Close”
- You should see the Terrace Elementary School Community card.
Families, as your children are getting older and are having more exposure online, a host of questions can arise about Internet safety. If you would like to learn more about what your children may be doing or what you can do as a parent/caregiver to protect them, please click here to read more.
- If you are on Facebook and would like to see what is going on at Terrace, be sure to check out the Terrace Facebook page. Pictures are regularly posted to better give you an insight into all the great things that go on at school each and every day. Remember to click the "like" button so our updates appear regularly on your feed. Or, under the school address near the top left of this page, you can click Facebook, and it will direct you straight to the page.
- It is important for us to have a current email address and phone number for you at all times. If you want to ensure that you receive emails and notifications from Terrace and D62, please make sure our office has your most current email and phone numbers on file. If you send us your contact information, I ask that you please write very neatly so we can make sure we are entering the correct information in our student information system.
Have a wonderful holiday!