Here are a few updates:
- As Halloween is approaching, I wanted to remind you how the school day will proceed on Monday, October 31, 2016:
- Please remember that it is a half-day institute day, and dismissal will be at 12:00. There will be NO SCHOOL for kindergarten students on Oct. 31.
- The school-wide parade for grades 1-5 will begin promptly at 10:30 in the gymnasium, and if weather permits, we will also parade outside. Parents, please do not arrive earlier than 10:25.
- Kindergarteners (both a.m. and p.m.) will have their parades on Friday, Oct. 28. Morning kindergarteners will parade at 10:05, and afternoon students will parade at 2:05. Please look for information to come home from Mrs. Schaefer about your classroom celebrations.
- Costumes may not contain: weapons of any sort, blood, cigars or cigarettes, and we should not be able to see any student’s bare stomach. In addition, please ensure that costumes are age-appropriate for school and are not overly scary. Masks may be worn only during the parade, but they may not be worn during the school day.
- Please remember that due to the recent concerns related to clowns, the district has asked that no students, staff, or parents dress up as clowns for any school celebrations.
- Classroom parties for grades 1-5 will begin roughly at 11:00. Parents and volunteers, it is important that you follow the guidelines communicated in the Terrace handbook (and D62 BOE policy) as it relates to food items. Candy, sweets, or any other food items ARE NO LONGER permitted for Halloween or any other celebrations during the school day. Your child is welcome to bring in pencils, erasers, and any little non-food items to share with their classmates. However, should you send food to school, it will not be distributed and will be returned to you. Your child’s teacher will give you more information about this.
- Sign-up for this year's November parent-teacher conferences will be electronic. On Friday, October 28, I will send home and email a letter detailing the directions on how to schedule your child or children for conferences. In addition, there will be directions on what you can do if you do not have access to a device or have a technological problem while scheduling.
- Our Grade 3-5 Fall Concert will be on Thursday, November 03, at both 2:10 and 6:30 p.m. Please read the September Terrace Times for more info.
- Families, for more information about the D62 Winter Card contest, please click here.
Please remember, if you have a student who rides the bus and you would like him or her to walk home when the weather is nice, we ask that you please call the office or send us a note. We do not want to hold up the buses any longer than necessary as we try to sort out who is walking home on a particular day. If we know ahead of time, it will help us speed up the dismissal process. Thank you for your cooperation.
New to Terrace this year is that a WeatherBug weather station has been installed at the building. I sent a separate email last week with directions on how to download the app to your mobile device. This will now give our school and your community the most accurate and real-time weather information possible. There is also a really cool weather display in the office, and I am looking forward to seeing how this will enhance our STEM curriculum. We were even mentioned on WGN news yesterday! Check out the pic on our Facebook page. Please download the free app and follow these simple directions:
- Open the app, and tap the WeatherBug icon in the upper left corner to expose the main app menu.
- Select “Sign in”
- At the bottom of the login screen, tap “Sign up” and either login using your Facebook account or by creating a WeatherBug account.
- Then go back into the main app menu and select “Communities”
- Tap “Terrace Elementary School” – the plus sign should turn into a check mark – hit “Close”
- You should see the Terrace Elementary School Community card.
Families, as your children are getting older and are having more exposure online, a host of questions can arise about Internet safety. If you would like to learn more about what your children may be doing or what you can do as a parent/caregiver to protect them, please click here to read more.
- If you are on Facebook and would like to see what is going on at Terrace, be sure to check out the Terrace Facebook page. Pictures are regularly posted to better give you an insight into all the great things that go on at school each and every day. Remember to click the "like" button so our updates appear regularly on your feed. Or, under the school address near the top left of this page, you can click Facebook, and it will direct you straight to the page.
- It is important for us to have a current email address and phone number for you at all times. If you want to ensure that you receive emails and notifications from Terrace and D62, please make sure our office has your most current email and phone numbers on file. If you send us your contact information, I ask that you please write very neatly so we can make sure we are entering the correct information in our student information system.
- Click here for the September Terrace Times newsletter.
- Congratulations to Mrs. Naponelli's classroom for earning this year's first Courageous Cardinal!!
Have a great weekend!