The fall weather is finally upon us. We had some wet and rainy days, but we were able to get our students outside for recess and mask breaks throughout most of the week. Please be aware of the weather, as it is getting a little colder outside. Please make sure your children have sweatshirts or jackets for the fall weather, and you may want to send an extra pair of shoes for recess for those wet days so they do not have to be in wet shoes after recess time.
Next month there will be a fall concert for students in grades 3 - 5, and we are very excited about that since we did not have any concerts last year. Unfortunately, due to safety and mitigation factors, our concert will not be able to accommodate a live community audience, so we are working on a way in which your children can still participate and allow you to be able to still view it from home via video recording. We know this may be disappointing for you, but we are happy that our students will get to participate since they missed it last year. This a a big step in the right direction!
I know you have received two communications from the district regarding SHIELD Testing for students. I wanted to summarize some of the points for you in case you still have questions:
- The SHIELD testing program, from the University of Illinois, is offering optional, free weekly saliva COVID-19 testing to all students. The test is simple, fast, and takes place at school during the school day.
- It IS NOT mandatory. However, it is encouraged for unvaccinated students and is a good mitigation strategy.
- Your child is automatically enrolled. If you wish to opt your child out of testing, please fill out this online form. If you cannot fill out the online form, please print off this form and send it to our office.
- Testing will begin the week of October 25. I do not yet know the date, but once I have the schedule, I will communicate that to all of you.
- Positive results will be communicated to families when we receive them, which is typically within 24 hours.
- Please see this SHIELD testing FAQ Document to learn more.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.
HERE ARE A FEW OTHER UPDATES:
Next week, on Friday, October 29, 2021, we will be celebrating Halloween for grades 1-5 and on Thursday, October 28 for kinders. Please read the information below:
- Please remember that it is a half-day institute day, and dismissal will be at 12:00. There will be NO SCHOOL for ANY kindergarten students on Oct. 29.
- This year we plan to have a Halloween parade, weather permitting. We will be having our parade outdoors if it is not raining, and parents/families may watch the parade and take pictures outdoors. If it is raining, we will have the parade indoors, however, parents/families will not be permitted inside. We will take plenty of pictures and post them for you if that is the case. I will communicate with you next week regarding the parade route and where you can safely watch and take pictures.
- For kindergarten families, both morning and afternoon kinder students will have their parades on Thursday, October 28, and Mrs. Nielsen will communicate the times to you next week. Weather permitting, they will have a their parades outside as well, so feel free to come and take pictures outdoors. If it rains, we will keep them indoors, but parents/families may not come in to take pictures. Thank you for your continued patience with us during these challenging times,
- Costumes may be worn to school on Oct. 28 for kindergarteners and on October 29 for grades 1-5. Costumes may not contain: weapons of any sort, blood, cigars or cigarettes, and we should not be able to see any student’s bare stomach. In addition, please ensure that costumes are age-appropriate for school and are not overly scary. Masks for costumes may be worn only during classroom activities that allow for it, but they may not be worn during the entire school day. Face coverings still must be worn all day while student are in person at school.
Terrace PTC Fourth Grade Mixer:
Please join our PTC and other first grade families at the Fourth Grade Mixer tonight, Friday, October 15, at 6:00 p.m. This event will take place at the Terrace playground. Bring your families, meet other second grade families, and have a popsicle. It will be a great way to meet other second grade families!
Terrace PTC Spirit Wear Store:
Thanks to our amazing PTC, we now have a spirit wear store that is open for business 24-7. If you click here, you can view the items for sale and can make a purchase any time you would like. All items will be shipped directly to you. If you have any questions, please reach out to our PTC.
D62 COVID Dashboard:
Fr those of you who would like to keep up with D62 COVID cases and quarantines, D62 has a dashboard that has all of that information. The dashboard is updated several times per day. There also links to relevant guidelines around quarantining as well as an FAQ from IDPH. Please click here for access to the dashboard.
Pickup at dismissal time continues to improve. Please understand that unfortunately our supervisors are not out there to direct traffic. They are there to help your children get into your vehicles safely and quickly. It is up to you, our community members, to be safe and patient as you wait for your students. Please, I ask you to be patient with us but also with one another. There is no rush to get into the front circle. If you follow the directions below, we will get your children to you more quickly with each passing day. Here are some way you can help us do that:
- Display the laminated sign you all should have received from your teacher. If you did not receive a sign, please contact your teacher to let them know.
- DO NOT wait or stand in front of a community member's driveway. The Des Plaines Police Department has asked me to remind you of this.
- Please do not double park on Westgate, get out of your car, and walk up to the front. If you want to park and get your child, please park in our parking lot.
- Do not drive to the left of the cars in the circle drive in order to leave the circle. This is dangerous and can hurt someone. Please be patient if the person in front of you is still loading their car.
- If your child is not outside when you drive up, you should leave the circle and make another pass. Please do not wait and hold up the line behind you.
- Remember, if you want to park and get out of your car to pick up your child, please tell your child to leave out of door 3 (blacktop door) so you can meet them there. We do not want to have too many people congregating in the front of the school at dismissal time.
Bus Drivers Needed:
We invite those interested to apply with First Student and join their team as a school bus driver.
Those interested can apply in one of two ways:
- https://workatfirst.com/ and put in zip code 60007 when prompted
- text 60007 to Buses (28737)
- $21-22.50/HR Starting wage based on experience
- Paid training
- $2,500 - $3,000 sign-on Bonus/retention bonus (based on experience)
- Eight paid holidays
- Weekly pay
- Guaranteed 20 hours/week
- Free college opportunities
Right At School:
If you are looking for before or after school care, please click here for more information.
School Breakfast & Lunch:
School breakfast and lunch will be free again this year.