Next week we will be having our final wave of students whose families have chosen in-person learning returning to the building. We are extremely excited to welcome our students back to school! With this final group retuning, I ask once more for patience and understanding, as some of our procedures such as arrival and dismissal may take a little longer the first few days. Our in-person students have done a phenomenal job being flexible as things often change here at school in order to keep the safe and healthy. For our remote families, please bear in mind these changes on our end, as it may impact your children as transitions between classes and such may take a little longer than usual next week. As always, please contact your child's teacher with any questions or concerns.
Many families have asked me about whether we will have a picture day this year. I am pleased to announce that we WILL have a picture day on Thursday, March 18. In-person students will have their pictures taken at school as they usually do, and there will be an option for remote students to have their pictures taken after school between 3:45 - 5:00. March 18 will also be a material pickup day, so remote families can bring their children for their picture and leave with their materials. For those remote families who are not interested in a picture, we will still have a material pickup on Friday, March 19. I will send more detailed information about how pictures for our remote students will work in the next week or two, but please mark your calendars now.
Next week, on March 05, second trimester report cards will be emailed home (just like the first trimester report cards were).
The 5Essentials Survey has opened up to families across the State of IL. We require a certain percentage of families to take the survey so it will be indicated on our school report card, and we can use the data from the survey to look at different aspect of the school and district to see if we can be making improvements. Currently about 55% of our families have filled out the survey! Thank you! Remember, both parents in a household can fill it out. As a reminder, you will have to click "Submit Survey" before logging out for it to be counted. You can find the parent survey here: http://survey.5-essentials.org/illinois/survey/parent/. We really appreciate your feedback.
Since we have quite a few new families at Terrace for in-person learning, I have a few dismissal and pickup reminders to help keep everyone safe and keep the line moving:
- Picking up at the front entrance is for students being picked up by a car in the circle drive only. Please do not double park or park in the parking lot and walk up to pick up your child. We are trying to maintain social distancing. You can park in the lot and pick up at the side entrance off the blacktop (see below).
- Cars picking up at the front entrance should display a sign with your student's name. This will help our supervisors get your children to you faster, and it will help keep the line moving.
- No cars may double park in the parking lot. Do not double park and call your children over to your car. This is a safety hazard. The Des Plaines Police have ticketed folks in the past for doing that. You must park in a space and walk up to the side door off of the blacktop to pick up your child. We will have our safety cones once again placed at the south end of the parking lot. They will not be moved until after dismissal is over. You are to enter and exit the parking lot at the north end only (by the community garden). Again, this is for everyone's safety.
- If your child is walking or if you are parking and picking them up, they must exit and you must pick up at the side door off of the blacktop. Do not come to the front. We are trying to maintain adequate social distancing.
On Feb. 02, online kindergarten registration opened. If you have a prospective kindergartener for 2021-2022, or if you have neighbors who do, please begin the registration process. Registration for 2021-2022 is also open for all new and returning students. Currently, only 21% of our families have registered. Please take the time to register when you have a few moments. If you have any questions about the registration process, please contact Mrs. Bojarski in the office at 847-824-1501.
Finally, if you, your student, or anyone in your family is struggling in any way, please know we are here to help you and support you. You can reach out to me directly or to Mrs. Greenwood, our social worker. We are here to help you if you need it.
Enjoy the long weekend! We will see everyone next Tuesday!
PLEASE READ THESE OTHER IMPORTANT REMINDERS:
Cardinal Call Out
On Fridays we acknowledge our students who consistently demonstrate our expected behaviors (Be Safe, Be Ready, and Be Responsible). Please click here to view our Cardinal Call Outs for the week of February 22. Congrats to the students who have been recognized this week!
5Essentials Survey: Families, please take a few minutes to complete the 5Essentials survey. It only takes a few minutes. You can click here to begin the survey: http://survey.5-essentials.org/illinois/survey/parent/. You DO NOT need an email address to complete the survey. Please make sure you choose "Cook" for the county. Remember you have to click "Submit Survey" before logging out for it to be counted.
Our next pickup will be Thursday and Friday, March 04 - 05 from 4:00 - 6:00. Your teachers will send you reminders when these dates get closer. If you cannot make one of the timeframes listed below, we will do our best to work with you. Please contact your child's teacher(s) or the main office to arrange an alternative time. Please see the information below for your planning:
- March 04 - Grades K-2 from 4:00 - 6:00 p.m.
- March 05 - Grades 3- 5 from 4:00 - 6:00 p.m.
- Families will pull up in the front circle in their cars. Please do not walk-up to the building.
- Cars should have signs with student names and teacher names clearly visible for staff to see easily.
- Staff will bring new materials to car and collect prior materials along with the bags you initially received.
- For families with multiple students, you can pick up materials on one day. That day will be the day you pick up for the youngest sibling.
Right At School:
If you have a student attending Terrace in person and are looking for a before and/or after school program, please check out the Right At School website. They are also offering financial assistance if needed. You can find more information about that by clicking this link.
Remote Learning Tips:
- Prepare a quiet learning space to support your child’s focus on school.
- Organize learning materials to ensure they are easily accessible for your child.
- Post your child’s daily schedule in an easily viewable section of their quiet learning space.
- Always encourage your child to do their best in everything in which they are engaged.
- Ask for help from the teacher if your child needs more support to learn.
- Ensure your child maintains a respectful and kind demeanor with their teachers and peers every day.
Boxes containing meals for a week will be distributed every Monday from 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Algonquin Middle School. Should you not be able to pick up meals at that time, you may call the kitchen office at (847) 789-5630 on Wednesdays between 11:00 a.m. and noon to arrange for the pick up of emergency boxes.
Meals will be provided to any child (age 18 and under), regardless of financial need. Child(ren) does (do) not have to be present when picking up meals. Transportation will not be provided.
We appreciate our partnership with Arbor Management in continuing food service to our students.
The District Technology Department is pleased to announce they have expanded their technology support hours into the evenings on Monday and Wednesday nights from 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm. Families are encouraged to email firstname.lastname@example.org during this time or call the tech helpline at 847-824-8115 and leave a message to generate a help desk ticket. A member of the technology team will answer help desk tickets in the order they are received during the evening support hours.