Last night's winter musical was a fantastic way to end 2017! Thank you to Mrs. Prost for arranging another wonderful performance for our students. I'd like to also acknowledge all of our staff who helped with the performance in so many different ways. Even if people were not directly involved in the production, their flexibility and support does not go unnoticed. To see pictures from the concert, please click the Facebook link above.
Since the weather is getting colder, especially in the early morning, we will continue INDOOR ARRIVAL after winter break permanently during the winter months. Each year throughout the winter months we bring the kids inside before school to warm up and get situated before the bell rings. Please drop your student off in the front circle drive so they can enter through the main door.
With that, please remember to send your children with the appropriate outerwear for the winter. Weather permitting, they will still go outside for recess. Don't forget, snow pants are necessary if the children want to play in the snow. Otherwise, they will have to play on the blacktop only.
Don't forget to check out the new December Terrace Times!
Please read the following updates below:
Update about Mrs. Moravec:
You may have noticed that Mrs. Moravec has been absent a bit more often this school year than in the past. Mrs. Moravec has been on a leave to help her father recover from a stroke earlier this fall. She has decided to extend her leave throughout the rest of the 2017-2018 school year. She wishes you all the very best as well as a happy holiday and new year, and we will miss her tremendously.
We have now hired Ms. Morgan Mittelbrun to teach art for the remainder of this school year. Ms. Mittelbrun studied art education at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and most recently, she has been subbing in District 207. She is super-excited to join us and to get to know our students and staff. Her and Mrs. Moravec will be in close contact so that the students continue to get an excellent art education.
Winter Weather Procedures:
- The weather outside may not be frightful, but Old Man Winter will be calling soon. Check out our District winter weather procedures: bit.ly/62WinterWeather
- If you or a neighbor is willing to be a crossing guard, the DPPD is looking for volunteers. If you know of someone interested, please contact me so I can point you in the right direction. Thank you. =-)
School Volunteer Info:
Attention Volunteers! Please fill out the online volunteer application if you do not currently have one on file. In order to volunteer at school during the day or at any school function (field trips, popcorn day, etc), you must have an application on file. If you are not sure if you have completed one, please email Mrs. Lopatka at firstname.lastname@example.org, and she can check for you. You may also apply online at the following website by clicking here.
Please read the following reminders:
Arrival Parking Lot Safety: Last week we had three unfortunate incidents in our parking lot during morning drop-off. Two different students were almost hit by cars running to their lines and a third fell in the middle of the parking lot running to the line-up area while cars were driving through the lot. These incidents were due to the fact that people are dropping their children off in the middle of the parking lot rather than coming through the front circle despite being asked many times over the years not to do so. In the interest of student safety, we are now putting cones at the north end of the parking lot to prohibit cars from entering to just drop off. Families will have to drive through the front circle to drop off. If you feel you need to park and walk your child to his or her line, please park on the west side of Westgate to do so. We apologize if this is an inconvenience to you, however, the safety and well-being of our students is our number one priority above all else. I spoke with the Des Plaines Police, and this change was thought to be an excellent idea. Thank you for understanding.
Dismissal Parking Lot Safety: Please remember that the safety and well-being of our students and staff are our #1 priority. After school you are welcome park your car in a designated spot in our lot and walk to the front to pick up your child. Or, you may drive through the front circle and pick up your child in the pickup line. DO NOT double park your car in the lot and ask your child to run over to your car. I have personally seen students do this and nearly get hit by a car in the lot. Please listen to and work with our traffic supervisors. We need you working together with us to ensure students and staff are safe. Thank you so much.
Please download the WeatherBug app and set Terrace as your home page. Here are the directions to download:
- Open the app, and tap the WeatherBug icon in the upper left corner to expose the main app menu.
- Select “Sign in”
- At the bottom of the login screen, tap “Sign up” and either login using your Facebook account or by creating a WeatherBug account.
- Then go back into the main app menu and select “Communities”
- Tap “Terrace Elementary School” – the plus sign should turn into a check mark – hit “Close”
- You should see the Terrace Elementary School Community card.
Families, as your children are getting older and are having more exposure online, a host of questions can arise about Internet safety. If you would like to learn more about what your children may be doing or what you can do as a parent/caregiver to protect them, please click here to read more.
- If you are on Facebook and would like to see what is going on at Terrace, be sure to check out the Terrace Facebook page. Pictures are regularly posted to better give you an insight into all the great things that go on at school each and every day. Remember to click the "like" button so our updates appear regularly on your feed. Or, under the school address near the top left of this page, you can click Facebook, and it will direct you straight to the page.
- It is important for us to have a current email address and phone number for you at all times. If you want to ensure that you receive emails and notifications from Terrace and D62, please make sure our office has your most current email and phone numbers on file. If you send us your contact information, I ask that you please write very neatly so we can make sure we are entering the correct information in our student information system.
Have a wonderful winter break and new year!